Traffic Lawyer San Antonio
Traffic lawyer San Antonio Talamantez & Volkman can be reached at 210-349-6000. Traffic tickets can lead to employment woes, license suspension, higher insurance premiums, costly surcharges, and even incarceration. Our goal in every case is to do all we can to prevent violations from showing up on our clients’ driving records. Call Talamantez & Volkman, traffic lawyer in San Antonio and Bexar County, for experienced legal representation.
Texas Point System
There are negative repercussions from even one traffic conviction. Texas has a point system in which traffic convictions equal points on your driving record. When you have an accumulation of points within a certain period of time, you can end up paying expensive surcharges year after year. These are some of the reasons that we fight tickets at Talamantez & Volkman, your Bexar County traffic lawyer in San Antonio.
Having points added to your driver record is a predictable outcome to every traffic conviction in Texas. When these points accumulate, one of the results can be license suspension. The point system in Texas is a simple one, as follows:
- If you are convicted of a moving offense in Texas or any other state, 2 points are assigned to your driver record.
- If you are found guilty in a moving offense that results in a collision, 3 points are assigned to your driver record.
- If you have a traffic conviction involving child safety seat violations, 2 points are assigned to your driver record.
- If you are cited for other types of seat belt violations, no points are assessed against your driver record, even if you plead guilty to the offense.
- Unless the incident you are cited for occurs in a school zone, you will not have points assessed against you if you are ticketed for speeding at less than 10 percent over the posted speed limit.
When points are added to your driver record, they remain for three years. Because an accumulation of points can lead to loss of driving privileges, don’t hesitate to contact us at Talamantez & Volkman, traffic lawyer in San Antonio, if you receive a traffic citation.
Ever since September 1, 2003, surcharges have been assessed against drivers in Texas under various circumstances. The annual surcharges are due for a range of years, depending on the offense involved. The help and advice of an experienced traffic lawyer in San Antonio like Talamantez & Volkman can make the difference between facing costly surcharges annually or possibly having your citation dismissed. See the following for more information about surcharges:
- If you accumulate at least 6 points on your diver record during a 36-month period, you will face a mandatory surcharge imposed by and payable to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). It is always best to contact a traffic lawyer in San Antonio so that you can possibly have a better outcome to your case. The annual surcharge payable to DPS is $100 for the first 6 points and an additional $25 for each additional point.
- A 250-dollar annual surcharge is due to DPS for the following driving convictions committed during a 36-month period: Driving without a valid driver’s license and driving with no liability insurance coverage on your vehicle or failing to maintain financial responsibility. This is an expensive surcharge. Contact experienced traffic lawyer in San Antonio Talamantez & Volkman for legal representation before pleading guilty to traffic citations.
Surcharges are much more expensive for drivers who have been convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI). For a first DWI conviction, a driver must pay $1,000 annually.
Don’t hesitate to contact Talamantez & Volkman, your traffic lawyer in San Antonio, for DWI citations or any other type of traffic ticket.